Like the end of anything, Fridays are anticipated because they are the end of the work week for most people, and the beginning of the weekend. Can we say 5 o'clock anyone? I feel like my son has reached the end of his "little kid" life as he's now in kindergarten, and is growing up way to fast for me. Just this evening we were stalling for bed time finishing our cookies for dessert and we clicked through the folders of pictures on our PS3. Caleb was enthralled that I started with pictures of him as a baby. Adelynn kept asking when we were going to see pictures of her, so I obliged and we ended up burning through 20 minutes real quick! As I bathed them and get them in bed, I thought of something a friend told me today as she was so kindly complimenting me on some of the things I've written here about the kids. She told me I should make sure to write a lot more down and then print them out for the kids' baby books, etc. She and her twin sister had been going through their mom's photo albums and wished she had written more down about them as kids. Of course she was happy that she had pictures, but the memories begin to fade without details. In any case, here is a simple 20 things about my kids that I wanted to write down before they are older and I've forgotten. It also made me smile to write these precious moments down, because I am still in the thick of tantrums, bad attitudes, potty training, wet beds, rejected dinners, etc. So seeing all the sweet things about my kids written down brings peace in the midst of parenting trials. I thank God for my kids every day even as I struggle to view and treat them as blessings instead of burdens.
20 ways you will make me smile (forever)
1. Your beautiful blue eyes.
2. How everyone says you have your mama's curls. (I don't trust them to last, so I'm enjoying them now!)
3. The way your eyes get HUGE when we are really close and talking about something "So Cool"
4. How you potty trained yourself because you wanted to be a big girl. I really hope you grow out of wanting to be a big girl…You'll grow up way to fast like mama did.
5. It makes my laugh and smile to see you traipsing around the house in nothing but your pink panties and high heeled princess shoes.
6. It makes me smile to remember how well you can speak at this age, but how you never say the "s" at the beginning of a word. Spaceship becomes "Paceship" and spaghetti is "Paghetti"
7. The way you light up whenever daddy comes home.
8. How eager you are to help me in the kitchen dumping measuring spoons and watching my ever-constant mixer go 'round and 'round.
9. Your chubby little buns…Oh, I could just squeeze all day!
10. It makes me smile that you both have similar white lovey blankets; The name of your white blanket is "Neenee". Brother's white favorite blanket was "Boo" (And I have no idea where either name came from.)
11. It makes me smile to listen to how sweet you are to your brother even when he isn't nice to you.
12. You know how to use your manners. It does a mama's heart good to hear that.
13. Whenever you are sad, you want to sit on my lap and snuggle for as long as I can sit. (Which isn't long these days)
14. That you love to go shopping with me, even when it's to Walmart and I haven't promised you a toy. (Because I don't need to, and most times I don't even need a snack for you either)
15. It makes me smile to hear you call yourself a princess. Even though it brings frantic thoughts of drama and pinkness beyond my comprehension.
16. That when you fall asleep in my arms you still do your little baby whimper-smile with your sweet little lips.
17. It makes me smile that you are always willing to sit and read. You love books.
18. I think it's pretty cool that you love to count, sing songs pretty well and are well on your way to knowing the whole alphabet.
19. It makes me smile when you do something that your brother asks you to do without questioning him, because you trust him completely. (May be dangerous some day…)
20. It makes me smile knowing that God gave you to me for this sweet time and I get the privilege of watching you grow and teaching you all the wonders of Christ so that you too may one day know and love Him as much as I do.
I love my babies!